Saturday, June 6, 2015

American Pharoah Wins 2015 Triple Crown

I attended my first Belmont Stakes Triple Crown Race on June 6, 2015. I had been to the Kentucky Derby this year with my brother and several of his friends. So far, it has been the only Kentucky Derby that my brother has joined me for. The decision to go to the Triple Crown race did not come up until I watched American Pharoah win the Preakness. I watched that race on TV. Surely, there had been other Kentucky Derby winners that had won the Preakness; but this was the first one that got my attention and made me want to go to the Triple Crown race. I invited everyone that went with me to the Kentucky Derby. Only Caleb could go so he and I bought tickets, booked flights and split a hotel room in New York at the Marriott Marquis on Times Square.

Tickets to the 2015 Belmont Stakes. 2015 had printed tickets
when you bought tickets on ticketmaster.com. Only $15




Caleb and I both flew into LaGuardia that Friday afternoon and took a cab into New York. I had the taxi (this is before Uber or Lyft) drop us off on Columbus Circle so we could have a late lunch at Roberts because I love Robert's view of Central Park. After lunch, we rolled our luggage south to Times Square and the Marriott Marquis. It was a long night of bar hopping for Caleb and me. I think the two of us were trying to see who could drink the most. My memory is a little splotchy, but it did not end well for Caleb.

Along the way that evening, we started at the Marriott bar overlooking Times Square, Tender's rooftop bar which was on the way to Rockefeller Center, the Rainbow Room with $25 drinks (thanks Caleb), Inside Park (the church outside bar), Campbell Apts bar at Grand Terminal (I think they since lost their lease the next year), and Hell's Kitchen (which is the neighborhood to the west of Times Square). It was a long night and we had races the next day.

Noah (me) on Rainbow Room terrace. Empire State Building behind me.


Race day, we ate breakfast at the Marriott and walked to Penn Station to catch the Long Island Rail Road train that took us directly to Belmont. Do not buy tickets from anyone trying to 'do you a favor' and save you from having to stand in line to buy tickets. Those guys are, no doubt, selling fake tickets. Watch your money.

The weather was perfect that day and our seats were terrific. I only have a few photos as both of our cell phones died early, but I did get a few from the seats and of American Pharoah parading through the paddock area.

American Pharoah

View from our seats.





Caleb and I had cigars to smoke in the paddock area but no lighters. We met Joe and some of his friends who lit the cigars for us. One of the guys was named Tiny and he was at the last Triple Crown win (1978 Affirmed). These guys keep an RV in the parking lot at the Kentucky Derby every year by the RV that has the free bar. I will have to look for them at my next Derby. They had a horse running in at least one of the Belmont races. I'm not sure if it was in the Triple Crown race or not but pretty sure it was not American Pharoah.

American Pharoah's win that day was an impressive part of history. Caleb and I were amazed that we were actually there (especially after all of the bar hopping from the previous night). The crowd went wild cheering and it is a day that I won't soon forget. It is too bad more of my Kentucky crowd could not join us, but I've decided to go to every Belmont Stakes race where there is a Triple Crown contender running so maybe they can make the trip another time.

Caleb and I had an easy train ride back to New York, dinner at Juniors across the street from the Marriott, two drinks at the Marriott's revolving restaurant (The View) and were in bed much earlier than the previous night. The next day was just sleeping late, breakfast at Juniors and a taxi through Central Park back to LaGuardia.

It was a great trip. Caleb and I made a pact that we would both make every Belmont Stakes race if there is a Triple Crown contender. I failed on this in 2018 when I went and didn't get in touch with Caleb. I have since gotten back in touch with Caleb and will make sure he's at the next one. If you get a chance to go to the races, go to the Kentucky Derby and then go to the Triple Crown. Look for me. I plan to be there.



New York Post Sunday Paper June 7, 2015




Caleb framed the Belmont Stakes poster and winning tickets.

I made notes on my phone, probably while I was waiting at LaGuardia for my flight. These helped me write this page, now three years later.






Sports Illustrated's American Pharoah cover.




This is my brother (Troy), Caleb and me at the 2015 Kentucky Derby.
I only wore the jockey hat to the Derby that one year.
It is still sitting on a shelf at Mike's house in Louisville waiting on me.











No comments:

Post a Comment